Yesterday something great, something amazing happened. I went to Sunday School, and Relief Society (two church classes) without Jacob. I didn't even bring the diaper bag in. Yes folks, he is now in nursery (a church class that you must be 18 months old to attend.) It was so nice I actually had the chance to listen, read, and comment. Each of these things is almost impossible to do while trying to entertain an energetic little boy. About halfway through the last class my back started to hurt. I realized that since having Jacob I don't think I have EVER sat still, on a folding chair, for so long.
I wish I could say that my superior mothering skills had prepared Jacob for this new independence, that after weeks of prep he was secure enough with our relationship that he was unafraid to leave the safety of my arms and enjoy himself in nursery. Unfortunately this isn't the case, while he had no trouble being there without his mother, I am pretty sure it is just his personality to be totally unafraid of anything. As I dropped him off, I tried to say goodbye to him, but he had already found an entire cabinet of toys, so he barely looked at me as I left him on his own. While I would have liked him to express a small preference for my presence, I am thrilled he had a good time. You know what, I did too, especially when I got to see him after and realize that I got a chance to miss him.
Congrats! Now when you are sitting so nicely in Sunday School and Relief Society you can think of the people like me that are with the kids like Jacob in Nursery, and they are so grateful that the new child is not screaming! Have fun!
ReplyDeleteWow I can't believe he is already 18 months old! I love it when my kids get to be nursery age!
ReplyDelete